Dead Klang voters to rise again? | Selangor Times
Saturday
18·11·2017
Issue 118

 

Selangor
Dead Klang voters to rise again?
Writer: Brenda Ch'ng
Published: Fri, 13 Jan 2012

KLANG: An increase in the number of deceased in the electoral roll is again raising the spectre of phantom voters.

Charles Santiago, who wrote to the Electoral Commission (EC) over the increase of 6,245 voters in the Klang constituency, was shocked when told that they were dead.

“They told me they were still cleaning up the electoral roll and that those were names of the dead which have not been removed,” said the Klang Member of Parliament.

MPK councillor Ivan Ho (second from left), Santiago (centre), Choo (third from right),  Sarajun (second from right) and supporters showing the record of new voters since 2008.

Santiago said he received a phone call from the EC after sending his letter on Dec 29, but their verbal explanation is raising more questions than answers.

He said the names should have been removed immediately after his or her death.

“Are they saying that 6,245 people died over the past three years? If it’s true, shouldn’t the number of voters be decreasing?” he asked.

Santiago said such discrepancies were unacceptable and that the EC should meet with him to resolve the issue. A second letter requesting a meeting will be sent soon to the EC.

Santiago discovered the sudden influx of voters when his office compared their records provided previously by the EC and the latest electoral roll.

EC’s latest electoral roll shows 90,817 voters in Klang, but Santiago’s records show only 84,572.

His office had arrived at the 84,572 figure by calculating the number of voters in each of the three state seats, Pandamaran, Port  Klang and Kota Alam Shah, under his constituency.

“They must clarify this huge increase of voters (from 2008 until September 2011),” he said at a press conference at his office on Wednesday.

He said that in the Port Klang state seat alone, 4,864 new voters were recorded in 2011 alone compared to 2008 when just 840 people registered.

It’s a huge increase as Port Klang did not have any new residential developments to support the influx of new voters, he claimed.

Also present at the press conference was Klang municipal councillor Robert Choo, who also found a list of 1,447 voters in Kuala Selangor and Kapar who are aged between 128 and 131.

“The EC should clearly explain all these discrepancies if they want the people to trust them again,” said Aliran’s executive committee member Sarajun Hoda.

Sarajun, a member of the reform movement for justice and freedom, was also present at the press conference together with MPK councillor Ivan Ho.

 

 Selangor Times

 

 

Also in News:

Trade in old for new at Aino Living

BN resorting to dirty tactics

Over 100 banners bearing DAP and PAS logos and containing misleading messages around Selangor were taken down by Pakatan Rakyat leaders last weekend, and they are urging Barisan Nasional to stop these dirty campaign tactics.

Roof for sports facility

Youths living in Section 6 can now play basketball and volleyball in the public court come rain or shine after a roof is completed.

Worried residents want vacant plot fenced up

Broken house and car windows along Jalan Bukit Permai 2/4 caused by children playing football on a vacant piece of land there are making residents fear for their safety, and they want the place fenced up.

Hostel for landslide victims

Landslide-stricken Seri Beringin Apartment and Kampung Pasir residents were finally moved to Kompleks Rakan Muda hostel on Sunday, after being evacuated from their homes last Wednesday.

 

 

VIEWS

 

 

MEDIA

 

 

 

TECHNOLOGY

From Windows to a Mac: A guide

 

 

FOOD

In for a sweet treat

 

 

TRAVEL

A Majestic presence

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Selangor Times. All rights reserved. Designed By Senedi
Twitter